Wednesday, August 30, 2006

Today, A Wave Of Reconciliation Washes Over Me

Maybe I've been too hard on the Christians. I mean, their faith has been the inspiration for some incredibly beautiful things. Look at the Sistine Chapel for chissakes. It's one of the most ass-kickingest works of art ever.

Of course it's creator, Michelangelo, was a homosexual, which means that today's fundamentalists would rather have him publicly stoned than creating art.

Then there was the contribution to the sciences and the preservation of Western classics made possible by religion in the Middle Ages. Of course the religion was Islam, whose adherents yesterday's fundamentalists were trying to kill wholesale.

Hmmmm....maybe I haven't been too hard on the Christians. But nonetheless I am possessed this morning by a turn the other cheek kinda feeling. To further the spirit of reconciliation, I thought I might "bear witness," as the Jesus folks like to say, with a few of my favorite bits of scripture.

Leviticus 25:44

"Your male and female slaves are to come from the nations around you; from them you may buy slaves."


That makes me feel a lot better about underpaying my Mexican gardener. After all, he does come from one of the "nations around me"

Exodus 21:7

"If a man sells his daughter as a servant, she is not to go free as menservants do."

And I thought the Plan B opposition was coming from people who hated women. Pfffftttt.....shows what I know.

Exodus 35:2

"For six days, work is to be done, but the seventh day shall be your holy day, a Sabbath of rest to the LORD. Whoever does any work on it must be put to death."


Now, this one offers a true chance for a moment of unity, as I would like Sunday off probably as much as a true Christian would like to kill me for working during the seventh holy day. I do remember though, when I was in high school and working in a restaurant, that our busiest time of the week was on Sunday right after church. I realize now how lucky I was, as the "customers" that would come in during this time were obviously just there plotting the death of the employees. Part of their plot seemed to involve leaving very small tips. Thank God I quit before they put the rest of their plan into action.

Leviticus 11:10

"But all creatures in the seas or streams that do not have fins and scales—whether among all the swarming things or among all the other living creatures in the water—you are to detest."


Interesting that the Bible uses the same word, "detest", for shellfish that it uses to describe the act of "lying with a man as one lies with a woman" (Levi 18:22, "detestable") yet I don't see the Christian types harassing seafood houses the way they harass the poor homosexuals. I suppose the reason why is one of those spiritual mysteries the mortal mind just cannot comprehend.

Leviticus 19:19
"Keep my decrees......Do not wear clothing woven of two kinds of material."

Might you be wearing a cotton/polyester blend right now?

SINNER!!!!!!


Christians sure are funny. Except when they do things like bomb the Olympics, or your local Planned Parenthood clinic. Strange how I don't see either of those subjects mentioned in the Bible. The shellfish are definitely there though. Think I'm gonna go eat a clam.

4 comments:

Romius T. said...

seriously funny bible quotes. I love when born again's suggest how the bible is error free, but don't go around killing people in Faux 70's pantsuits.

DrugMonkey, Master of Pharmacy said...

So...two people have written in now to point out what they feel is a fundamental flaw in this post. Seems they think the Old Testament doesn't apply to Christians, with one person saying the first half of the Bible is merely "foreshadowing" for the true word found in the second. Since my quotes here are from the Old Testament their argument goes, the drugnazi is full of crap.

Which would be fine, if it weren't for a little thing called the 10 commandments, found in the same book of the Bible as 2 of the passages I quote here. So evidently the Christian types feel the "Big 10" don't apply to them either. This is great news, because my neighbors wife is seriously hot, and getting a free pass to covet her and/or to break commandment #7 totally rules.

Now that I take a closer look at Commandment #10, I also see that I am not to covet my neighbors ass. I guess maybe God really doesn't like the homosexuals, although there doesn't seem to be anything here about oral sex....hmmm.... well, I guess if you're Christian none of this matters.

Unfortunately this also means I have lost my excuse not to work on Sunday. Thanks for writing in and fucking that one up for me. Fuckers.

Anonymous said...

The devil can cite Scripture for his purpose.
An evil soul producing holy witness
Is like a villain with a smiling cheek,
A goodly apple rotten at the heart:
O, what a goodly outside falsehood hath!

Merchant of Venice :) Shakespeare's not a hack.

Kris said...

Ah but the Sabbath doesn't necessarily have to be on a Sunday. The scripture says "6 days shall ye work but the 7th day must be the Sabbath unto the Lord" The Sabbath can be any day, a Thursday for example :)